Wednesday, April 20, 2011

a lesson about riding a bike.

sunday night i was helping aiden figure out the whole riding a bike thing. like most kids are he was worried about falling and getting hurt. he kept saying...don't let go. don't let me fall. i don't want to get hurt. i promised him i wouldn't let him fall, and i wouldn't let him get hurt. but i told him if i didn't let go he wouldn't ever learn how to ride his bike. i would start running behind aiden and let go, as soon as he realized i let go he would stop and put his feet down, and ask me why i let go. i told him that is how you learn to ride a bike, i would assure him he could do it, he just had to try. when i let go i would watch him wilbble this way, wobble that way, sometimes he would fall and look up at me in frustration and ask once again why i let go. i kept telling him it was the only way to learn how to ride a bike. i was growing frustrated, he wouldn't trust me, and he didn't trust himself.

just as i was about ready to say enough, i had the humbling thought. i'm aiden on that bike. i'm pleading with my heavenly father not to let go, not to let be wibbel wobble, and absolutely not fall! but just like i know aiden has to fall a few times before he'll figure it out, he knows i have to fall a few times also. but if i have the faith to just keep peddling i'll get it.

6 comments:

Nicole S. said...

This is definitely what I needed to hear today!

So happy for you and your ah-ha moment!

Annie said...

Beautifully put. xoxo

Unknown said...

Agreed, Love. It.

Amy said...

Love it and loved that you helped Aiden ride his bike. Your awesome.

Shannon said...

Brooke, it's been a while, but I happened on your blog today while checking Jill's and I just have to tell you that I needed this today. My heart is hurting something fierce over something so small and I've had the hardest morning. This post is just what I need to remind me to trust in Him. Thank you, thank you.

Unknown said...

love this post.